Keeping it real


There's a bit of a theme going on around these parts lately. Maybe it's the crazy weather: 36 degrees one day, 14 degrees and raining the next. 

Maybe it's the season. Christmas six weeks away? Hang on, aren't we all in about September right now?

Maybe it's the newborn who is suddenly ten months old and crawling down steps headfirst, or maybe it's the writing gig I've suddenly been doing for a year now.

All things seem to be moving at lightening speed, direction unknown.

Perhaps that's why this article hit home this week. 

Whether or not you're a fan of Elizabeth Gilbert's books (am I the only person who hasn't read Eat, Pray, Love?), she has some thought provoking things to say.

I've written recently about feeling uncomfortable with the whole "work-life balance" concept, and the way it feels like a substitute for 'perfection'. It seems to be across the media everywhere at the moment: how to achieve it, why you need it; what you can do better to reach this mystically 'balanced' state.

This week I discovered Elizabeth Gilbert has similar misgivings. Turns out, at least two of us have been wondering who all these 'balanced' people are. 

 "Is that anybody you have ever met in your entire life?" she asks. "And if it is, would you want to be their friend? Would that be a person you called in the middle of the night and you were like, 'I'm scared and I'm having a hard time'? And they'd be like, 'I'm sorry I'm just so balanced I can't really take this in right now.'"

Right on. Sometimes I think it's the unbalance that gives life its juice. 

All the crazy, hard, uplifting, relaxed, joyous and frantic moments. When it all goes nuts and these things are all in one day. When you know you need a day in your pajamas, no questions asked.

 Isn't that life? It's not a perfect balance, but at least it's real. 

*Photo by Gareth Harfoot, Creative Commons license


8 comments:

  1. Yes! Pia I heartily agree and think I need to do more of this, much, much more. More of accepting life as it is right now, more of accepting myself as I am right now. Imperfect. And totally okay. I've always been one for self improvement, and I've always thought that was a good thing. But the older I get the more I realise what an exhausting, futile exercise it is. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be totally exhausting, and I think it's a message going nuts in the media these last few years - work/life/love you-name-it balance is seen as 'it' these days. I'm all for imperfect and celebrating what I am doing, right now. Bet you are doing awesome things too Kate, and perfect can look boring me thinks x

      Delete
  2. Agreed! Work life balance doesn't exist. For me it's just getting on with it each day, trying to take whatever comes my way in my stride, enjoying the sweet stuff, sucking up the challenging stuff and cutting myself some slack when I don't feel like I am doing it well. Embracing the imperfection of a real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend! Cutting ourselves slack is so very important (I'm not very good at it) - and stopping to see how much cool stuff we do everyday, and celebrating it. You do a stack of awesome, every day xx

      Delete
  3. Maybe the only thing we need to balance is our expectations of ourselves. Somewhere in between crazy and zen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Rachel, beautifully insightful as always. It's the expectation thing isn't it? Letting go sometimes and accepting where we are. Thank you x

      Delete
  4. No such thing as perfect balance, there's always some sort of juggle going on.
    And when the juggling gets too much, PJ days are the best kind of medicine! Preferably with crochet in hand :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Or for me with book in hand. Essential down time I think.

      Delete

 

Let's Connect

 photo sitwitter_zpsef8f50c4.png photo sifacebook_zps8b1c57f4.png photo siemail_zps60865ada.png