Bookstore magic


Today I re-visited an old stomping ground, and my, how the memories came back. 

Hands-down, bookstores are my favorite places in the world. Being surrounded by all the books - shelves and shelves of stories, unread and just waiting to be explored, is my idea of heaven. Ditto a good library.

This place was a hang-out of mine for years. It's only about second-hand books. Every available wall, corner and table was taken up with books. They also did cracking food and coffee, and encouraged reading and hanging out. The perfect place really.

I still swear I did my best thinking there. Assignments; successful job applications; big news received and shared; and some massive life adventures planned. Plus reading, day-dreaming and writing galore in that place.

I loved it. A good bookstore is a thing of true beauty. Particularly if it's not all about buying books. Creating space to dream, talk, write, read and ponder is almost an art-form in itself, and man, these guys do it well.


I've not found its equal where I live now, so visits like today are especially precious.

How about you? Share your favorite bookstores - I'm sure there might be a few we agree on, and a few delightful new ones to discover! 

*Photo courtesy of Ryan, Creative Commons license.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post Pia and I really adore a good bookshop too. I visited the Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris last year and didn't want to leave. Bookshops really are a place of wonder and we must visit them and spend time in them so we don't lose them forever (to the online world!). Secondhand books are my fav, esp if there is something written inside x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years and years ago I visited Shakespeare & Co and was totally blown away. What an amazing place and history it has. I love finding things written in 2nd hand books - I've found shopping lists, notes to friends, a child's drawing - amazing!

      Delete
  2. Old bookstores are the best. And like Rebecca I could live in Shakespeare & Co. Old books, new, a reading room, history, a killer view, a piano, decades of famous writers... I wish we had something like that here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream is a reading/library/ dedicated writing room at home! At the moment its the study/playroom so books share with lego and kids toys - ok - but not exactly Shakespeare & Co - and not with that incredible view either!

      Delete
  3. Isnt it a shame that many of our old bookshops are gone:( There is nothing quite like a bookshop I agree. There is one not too far from me in an old cottage not far from the sea-I could spend hours in there. If ever I go to Paris I'll have to check out that one that was mentioned-sounds divine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jenny, lots of independent (and old) gems lost. The one near you sounds fantastic - close to the sea and in an old cottage a divine combination x

      Delete
  4. oh book stores, they will always have my word hungry heart! :) I love them all, big ones, small ones, but my favourites are definitely the small secondhand ones. I am lucky enough to live near Clunes, and go every year to the Clunes Book Festival, it is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Clunes Book Festival - lucky you Tash. Me too, I love the small second hand ones, could lose myself for hours there.

      Delete

 

Let's Connect

 photo sitwitter_zpsef8f50c4.png photo sifacebook_zps8b1c57f4.png photo siemail_zps60865ada.png