The kettle's on, come on in


This week I'm playing along with the endlessly creative Pip Lincolne of Meet Me At Mikes. Pip runs an awesome blogging class for newbie bloggers and those wanting a refresher to the world of blogging. Have a look here - it's awesome!
 
There are some fab bloggers in our class, and this week we're sharing what we do and care about over at Meet Me At Mikes. Together, we are inviting you all over to our blogs to say hello! So grab a cuppa and pop on over to check them all out.

Thanks for visiting me here. The things I love involve books, writing, storytelling and the power of words to connect and engage us all. I hope that what I write here connects with you too. Below are five things I'm loving this month. Books, places, commentary and moments that have captured, intrigued and inspired my heart and mind.
:: Things I'm loving this month ::

1: Reading Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas, the author of The Slap. I think Tsiolkas writes fearlessly about class, families, relationships and identity in today's Australia. One of my favourite books I've read this year - confronting, compelling, I couldn't put it down. It's made me think about the place of sport and winning in our country, how we shape our children, and the impact of family on our sense of selves. 

2: Appreciating Long winter walks on these cold, cloudless days. Helpful for head-clearing and recharging, especially in super-busy times. I wrote about it here.

3: Thinking about how to talk about social justice and human rights issues in ways that connect. I've spent most of my working life in this arena, and how we engage around these issues is something I care about. Right Now is a volunteer, not-for-profit media organisation focusing on human rights issues in Australia. It's my favourite place to read, listen and learn about these issues. Well worth a visit.

4: Listening to my little one laugh uncontrollably when I tickle his tiny feet. Pure joy for all involved!

5: Discovering  the Great Ocean Quarterly. A new-ish magazine celebrating the power, pull and beauty of the ocean, with beautiful photography and articles. I read and loved author Fiona Capp's article reflecting on the place of the ocean and surfing on her writing. 

That's my five fab things for this month! Happy Friday!

14 comments:

  1. I loved getting to know you more through this. And looking forward to your social justice posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi, it's a great linky I'm looking forward to getting around to read everyone's posts. It's going to be interesting writing the more social justice-orientated posts I think!

      Delete
  2. Great read, and I love that there are links a plenty for me to check out too. Will be enjoying another cuppa and having a read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a few good links in posts too - it's a little journey of discovery every time. Thanks for the feedback Annette.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Barracuda yet but it's on my to read list! Great Ocean Quarterly looks great too - thanks for the heads up Pia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I devoured Barracuda, not always an easy read but very thought provoking I found. Thanks for the visit Karen!

      Delete
  4. great ocean quarterly sounds gorgeous... off to have a look - thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here Bear Loves Dove. I've been admiring your Kiwi Coast blanket, absolutely stunning. I was so glad you passed the 'why I write' baton to Kate Forster - a favourite blog-writer of mine too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. There truly is nothing better than long winter walks. It is the best! Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting Deb and hope there's a little sun to get out into around your place too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must check out that book-sounds right up my alley and thanks for the heads up about the Great Ocean quarterly-it looks fantastic. There is nothing quite like a giggle and a tickle :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tickles and giggles from bubbas make me laugh every time! Thanks for saying hi Jenny and check out Barracuda might be some good winter reading in this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you love inding the spot that makes them giggle. My lil Cal loves a kiss near his ear, guaranteed a giggle, always. i enjoyed getting to know you a bit better too. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must see if the sweet spot near the ear works on my little one too! Thanks for dropping in Jo lovely to see you here.

    ReplyDelete

 

Let's Connect

 photo sitwitter_zpsef8f50c4.png photo sifacebook_zps8b1c57f4.png photo siemail_zps60865ada.png